Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) Updates
The end of life of Adobe Flash has been well advertised for 31 December 2020. Not only is Adobe discontinuing Flash, but Flash based content will be blocked from running in Flash Player after that date. So, it is not adequate to simply leave your Flash based systems at older versions after the EOL date.
The impact of Flash on Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) is detailed in Oracle support documents:
- Advisor Webcast Recording: Enterprise Manager (EM) – New OEM JET Pages and Flash End Of Life held on November 19, 2020(Doc ID 2729947.1)
- Adobe Flash End-of-Life Impact on Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control (Doc ID 2709724.1)
- Adobe Flash End-of-Life Impact on Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control (Doc ID 2717919.1)
How does Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) use Flash?
Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) in its Cloud Control and Database Control iterations has used Flash to display the dynamic performance pages (performance home, top activity, real-time SQL monitoring etc). If you have Diagnostic and Tuning Packs available, then the corresponding OEM functionality will stop working when Flash goes end of life.
EM Express, the standalone version of OEM for single databases will similarly need to be upgraded. If your database is below the version required to replace Flash functionality then you will have to upgrade the database and its EM Express version to access performance pages.
Legacy Database Support
If you have 126.96.36.199 databases and use Database Control (DB Console) then the only options are to:
- Install a Cloud Control system at the latest version and monitor the database from there. OEM 13.4 is certified to manage databases back as far as 188.8.131.52.
- Use SQL Developer Web
- Use SQL Developer, noting that the dynamic pages detailed below are not available from this console
The Advisor Webcast listed above provides details on the reorganisation and new functions of the performance pages via the Performance Hub in the newest versions of OEM.
While OEM is the best tool to review up to date information via Top Activity (now ASH Analytics) and Performance Home, there are other tools available that will provide information if you have the diagnostic pack available.
SQL Developer provides diagnostic tools including:
- Dynamic generation of AWR and ADDM reports
- ASH details
- Waits for the past hour
- Sessions by status (active/inactive), counts, etc, and
- Top SQL by CPU, Disk, Executions, Waits
- Real time SQL monitoring
A very limited sub-set of these is available (particularly Waits for the past 1 hour) without the diagnostic pack license, but most of the others interact with AWR.
Contact us to learn more about how this impacts you.